Icon in Standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 19 18:22:15 EDT 2008

Randy Hengst wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been playing with making icons for standalones for the first time.
> After scouring the archives I ended up using Iconbuilder 8.5.1 with
> Photoshop Elements 4.0 on MacOSX 4.11 and Rev Studio 2.8.1.
>
> I've been successful with all but one of the standalones. This one
> project will not display the icon in the finder. The same icns file
> works just fine on a new stack. So, the icns file is OK.  I forced the
> finder to recognize it by creating an archive and then unstuffing the file.
>
> I assumed something was corrupted in my stack. So, I created a new
> mainstack and copied the scripts and objects from the old stack to new.
> Still, the standalone will not display the icon in the finder. The
> project is just one stack and one card, 55 objects and two audioclips.
>
> Any suggestions for what I can check in my stack  that might be causing
> a problem?

It's not your stack, it's a known OS X Finder update problem. All you
have to do to fix it is to force the Finder to update itself, as you did
by archiving and unarchiving. Another thing that sometimes works is to
Get Info on the app, click on the icon box, and hit the Delete key (but
that isn't always as successful.) Finally, you can use Terminal to issue
a "touch" command, which forces the Finder to recognize it. That's what
I usually do; I use a shell() command in Rev so I don't have to launch
Terminal.

Even if you left it alone with the "wrong" icon, anyone else who gets
your app will see the correct icon because *their* Finder hasn't already
seen the old one. And eventually your own Finder will wake up and
display it properly, but sometimes that takes days.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com