Print card -- inconsistent results

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jun 18 22:49:32 EDT 2008

We're talking about pretty elementary stacks here. Mostly buttons and
fields. Text in the fields.

I'm keeping it simple by choosing "Print card..." from the File menu.

Some of my stacks print at device resolution. The printed output
looks good. Text is very sharp. These are all stacks that were
created in RR.

At least two of my stacks appear to print at screen resolution. Text
looks like it came out of a crappy old dot matrix printer. Buttons
look fuzzy, too, and so on. These are hyperCard retread stacks.

However, I have other hyperCard retread stacks that seem to print at
device resolution.

Investigating further...

If I duplicate a field that normally prints fuzzy, and print again,
both fields print fuzzy. This would be on a HC retread stack.

On the other hand, if I make a new field and type identical text into
it, with identical font and textsize, the new one prints real nice,
even though right next to fuzzy fields.

It appears that this phenomenon is related to the hyperCard retread
issue.

I'm looking at the field properties, comparing the fuzzy-printing
ones to the clear-printing ones. I don't see anything that would
account for the difference.

The screen display of fuzzy-printing and clear-printing stacks seems
similar.

What am I not getting?

Thanks,

Tim