Hello... Its good to be back. Is this the place to be or is the forum now it?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Wed Jun 18 06:58:07 EDT 2008

On 18/6/08 11:37, Bob Hartley wrote:
> Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>>
>> We've just got an EEE to play with - the 900, which has 1024 x 600
>> screen (btw Bob, where did you find System Requirements? - I've looked
>> on the RunRev site and couldn't find them anywhere).
>
> When you laqunch rev 2.9 it then says that the resolution needs to be
> 1024x768. However, since you have a 900 you probably wont see the popup.
>>
>> I've not yet got further than figuring out how to get to 2.9 to launch
>> (the EEE comes stock in 16-bit mode; there's no GUI support - that
>> I've found - for changing the screen depth; launching Rev from the GUI
>> fails silently; but if you launch Rev from the terminal, it fails with
>> an error that it requires 32 bit display.  The helpful interweb
>> reveals that you can edit a config file to restart the EEE in 24 bit,
>> and this is sufficient to get Rev to launch. Phew!)   After getting
>> that far I've not had the energy to play further with Rev - but I'm
>> planning to take the EEE on vacation instead of my MBP, and give it a
>> proper test then.
> I simply went to the rev folder using the fiel manger. Then  right
> clicked on the app and set it to executaable.  then it worked with a
> double click (and also when added to the start menu)
>
> I use xandros full desktop. You can get info on the install including
> kicker etc here
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/#full_desktop_advanced_mode

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions - sorry I wasn't clear.  I had in fact
already got Rev working (having previously installed Xandros full desktop);
but by the time I'd done everything to get it working, I'd lost the energy to
do anything with it!  Interestinly I don't recall seeing an alert about
requiring 1024x768, although since the 900 by default is in 1024x600 you'd
think it would apply; however, the problem that did stall me for a while was
the '32-bit' requirement, which isn't reported in the GUI.

regards,

Ben