App restart after update

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 01:49:53 EDT 2008

My application can update itself by downloading and placing the new
version in the appropriate spot. To utilize the new version the user
has to quit the old version and relaunch it which brings up the new
version.

An example of this is Firefox which downloads the new file, expands
it, quits the running application, and then relaunches the new one
(and I presume deletes the old version).

Quitting the application after the download is easy but how do I have
the computer automatically relaunch it?

I would need this for Macintosh and Windows and Linux.

Bill Vlahos