Interface question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 11 21:36:24 EDT 2008

Ken Ray wrote:
>> I have two print layouts, "detail" and "list", and the user needs to be
>> able to print data using the layout of their choice. I can think of
>> three ways to allow this:
>
> Will there only ever be two print choices?

Good question. Last version there was only one, now we've got two. There
won't be more than two in this release though.

> Because if it might go to 3, 4 or
> more, I'd suggest something like a "Print..." menu item that goes to a
> "waystation" dialog with a list field (or the equivalent) that would let
> them pick from the kind of printout they want, and might even optionally
> display a thumbnail of the output template so they can make an informed
> choice.

That'd be cool. But probably overkill for two.

> Also, are they "in" one of these views in the interface when they go to
> choose the printing options? If so, perhaps this could just say "Print..."
> (to print the current view) and "Print <the other view>..."

It's your basic database screen with fields all over the place. Neither
of the print layouts look like what's being displayed, and both contain
only subsets of the data.

I'm collecting all these responses before I decide, there's some really
good ideas so far. I wish there were a standard for this kind of thing.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com