Strange URL Behavior

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 15:56:40 CDT 2008


On 2 Jun 2008, at 21:24, Dave Cragg wrote:

>
> On 2 Jun 2008, at 20:25, Dan Friedman wrote:
>
>> Anyone got any ideas on this...
>>
>> Within one of my rather long routines, I am doing a simple "get" of  
>> a text
>> file off my website.  When I run this routine, rev (2.9.0) seems to  
>> hang on
>> this line of code.  It's not locked up... And I can command-period  
>> to get
>> out of it.  It also acts this way in a standalone.
>>
>> OK... Here's the strange part, if I put a breakpoint on this line,  
>> and click
>> "Run" when it breaks, it works fine.  If I put an "answer" before  
>> the get,
>> it works fine.
>
> Is there anything in the handler before the "get" line that might be  
> causing problems? One thing I can think of is using libUrlResetAll.  
> It can cause problems when used in the same handler before a get/ 
> load/etc url call.

Dan, some more speculation...

Another possibility is using a "send ... in <time>" call to another  
handler before the "get url" line. Normally, items on the  
pendingMessages list run at some time after the current handler ends,  
but they would run during the "get url" routine if they are due to be  
run at that time. (This is because of the way libUrl uses "waits" in  
its script.) This isn't necessarily a problem, but I guess it's  
possible that the handler that is the target of a send could do  
something that prevents the get url call from completing. (Can't think  
of an example right off.) I'm supposing that the use of breakpoint or  
answer dialog may have allowed something to complete that would  
otherwise interfere with the "get url" call.

Dave



More information about the use-livecode mailing list