Standalone - Using stack as DB

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Thu Jul 31 11:23:23 EDT 2008

Bonsoir à tous,

Le 31 juil. 08 à 17:03, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Bert Shuler wrote:
>> I have a main stack with 2 sub stacks.
>> I use the sub stacks as a db, flipping through the cards and
>> saving  them on changes.
>> Now when making a standalone, the save does not save the sub-stack
>> data.
>> What is the best way to use substacks for data?
>
> As Eric noted, applications cannot modify themselves at runtime, so
> you'll want to break out any savable data stacks into a separate
> stack file.

Actually, I never save any stack that is a part of any application
package.
I always prefer to use externals files (text, xml, database, etc.) to
save user's data or his preferences.
And for stacks designed to run in the IDE (plugins, utilities) I
create a custom propertyset in revpreferences stack.
This ensures that files I have created can't be corrupted in any
case :-)

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.