quick question about splash stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 29 13:09:17 EDT 2008

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Your handling of that sounds good, but I'm curious:  have you pinned
>> down what's causing these saves to be interrupted?
>
> I think it must be something to do with the on/off switch.

LOL.  Yep, that'll do it. :)

Linux doesn't provide shutdown notification for apps?

> The moral may be that no matter how much training you do, and no matter how
> many notices you put up or stick to your machines, if you're dealing with
> people who basically use the app without knowing they are using a computer,
> and are seriously computer-phobic to boot,  things like using the on-off
> switch and not the mouse to close down, are just going to happen
> occasionally.  Have to live with it.

I wonder if this may be a good argument to add an auto-save feature for
your app.

Alternatively, since it seems the save has started but isn't being
completed, maybe there's a way you could save the data in a smaller file
so it saves faster.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal