Re insert file type and creator

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 04:48:55 EDT 2008

A couple of Applescript tips and a working script

[1] Remember, File type and creator codes are always 4 characters long.

[2]  The Finder uses an indirect syntax to refer to a file on the hard drive

as string =>
"Macintosh HD:Users:sivakatirswami:Desktop:_temp:a  tst creator:image.tiff"

as alias =>
Finder does a check to see if the file name (expressed as a string) can
actually be resolved to a valid file on the hard drive.  If so, the 'alias'
becomes a valid reference.

------- copy this code into Script Editor and click Run
--user gets to choose
set theFileAlias to choose file
set theFileStr to (theFileAlias as string)
set theNewAliasRef to (theFileStr as alias)

set theBadFileStr to (theFileStr & "junk")
try
    set theFlawedAliasRef to (theBadFileStr as alias)
    -->oops     without the 'try'
    -- you get an error dialog that the file could not be found
    --- and it aborts the script
    -- error could be bad file name, file permissions, etc.
end try

--note the variations
set theOutputStr to (theFileAlias & return & theFileStr & return &
theNewAliasRef & return & theFileAlias & return & theBadFileStr) as list
------ end copy

Hope this gets you up and running

Jim Ault
Las Vegas