off topic : Parallels alternative : VirtualBox

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 09:14:33 EDT 2008

Hi Pierre, I too can recommend VirtualBox.  A few months ago I had a
customized version of CentOS I needed to use for some application testing,
and after I failed to get it to work after installing it in VirtualPC and
VMWare, I turned to VirtualBox... absolutely no problems there.

Innotek (the company that Sun bought VirtualBox from), was a major ISV and
supporter of OS/2 back in the day.  Hard to believe that 16 years ago there
was a desktop OS that had pre-emptive multi-tasking and a user-programmable
OO UI that would run on a 486 with 4mb of RAM, and that could run almost all
existing DOS and Windows 3.1 apps inside "Virtual Dos Machines".  OS/2 was
probably the first desktop OS to be able to run virtualized operating
systems.

My new Vista laptop can't even unzip files properly (I had to download the
old file manager I used to use on NT4 and OS/2 in order to unzip files on
Vista).

Bernard
Certified OS/2 Engineer