further question on unicode

Randolph Valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 25 10:10:15 EDT 2008

 Hi, all. Thank you for your earlier help on Unicode. I am teaching at a
school in Ontario, Canada that trains Ojibwe and Cree (indigenous North
American languages) literacy, and we use the Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics
(CAS). I have written several routines in Revolution that will readily
convert Roman-orthography Ojibwe and Cree into Unicode CAS, and this is
extremely helpful. However, there is one pesky problem that I don¹t really
understand... if I convert several Ojibwe words to Unicode, then put the
Unicode on the clipboard and paste it into Word (2008 on a Mac), the paste
works fine, and I get CAS letters pasted. However, for some reason, if I
convert a single word, I often get nothing or a string of question-marks.
Why would this work with a string of words but not a single word? Now if I
add spaces after the single word, I still seem to get nothing; but if I add
a dummy word, then the paste works. Also the paste works with single words
in TextEdit, just not in Word. If I tell Word to just paste the text,
instead of ³styled text,² the paste works as well. Is there some programming
trick I could do to get this to work simply on a default paste into Word?
The reason I ask is that my students are often just beginning to use
computers, and having to add geekomancy (such as ³just paste text²) to any
process proves an insurmountable barrier. Thanks for any thoughts.

 Also, I¹m sure this has been asked a million times, but has anyone among
the cognoscenti written up notes outlining what Rev can and can¹t do with
Unicode? I try scouring the earlier list material, but of course, it¹s not
organized. Thanks.

Rand Valentine
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada