Removing an OSX dock icon

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Jul 22 14:38:17 EDT 2008

> With the following I'm able to add an icon to the OSX dock.  I'm
> wondering if anyone knows (or would care to guess) how to remove an
> icon from the dock... besides dragging it off  :  )

Take a look at the "PlistBuddy" command line file that ships in the bundles
of a lot of software on the Mac. Under Leopard, there should be one at
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy.

If you run it with the -h parameter, you can get the list of what you can do
with it. Then you can use it with the Dock's plist file
(~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist).

For example, to delete the item in the 13th app slot on the dock (you'd need
to run PlistBuddy with other configs to determine the slot number), you can
execute this:

 /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete persistent-apps:13"
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

And then reload the dock with "killall Dock"). It's a real PITA, but it
works pretty well.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com