[OT] Sweaty CPUs

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 11:47:48 EDT 2008

I have recently had a large problem with my G4 MDD's CPU temperature going up into the 70s Centigrade and really don't have lots of stray money to cut holes in the roof and bung in lots of fans, bigger heat sinks and so on.

So, installed CHUD and found that this installed a preference pane called Hardware/Processor (earlier versions/later versions); up until about version 3.5 CHUD allows you to turn on NAP, after that one cannot.

Get CHUD from Apple Developer Connection (FREE!); it pulled my CPU down from an average of 65 C to 57 C, and it also throttled the fans so the "Wind Tunnel" Mac gives me a bit more P and Q.

For those of you with Intel Macs you will need later versions of CHUD; I believe that the version included with Developer Tools 3.1 (released just NOW) will allow NAP control both in PPC and INTEL Macs. Some Macs have NAP set by default (my Mac Mini PPC does).

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13621/apple-xcode

also 'FREE' for the price of your name and e-mail address.

The only slight snag is that every time one turns one's Mac on one has to reset this feature; but it seems a cheap alternative to a cheese-burgered computer.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.