Creating Library Modules

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Thu Jul 10 08:03:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

To answer some of you questions:

> SO an independent stack library can be called by the main stack,
> but the
> code must be independent and does not have access to any of the
> functions or
> commands in the stack that started it.

Yes, it's much better practice to have libraries totally independent
of the calling stack. They way they can be just dropped into any
project and even used by other Library Stacks.

However it is possible to have the Library call functions in the main
stack - see below. If you have "common" functions you want to call
from all StandardReports1.rev, StandardReports2.rev,
StandardReports3.rev it would be better to just create another
"Common" library file that contains all your common functions. Then
do a start using on this stack in the "libraryStack" handler of
StandardReports1, 2, 3 etc.

> Can variables be passed between the
> functions and data returned by the function?

Yes, here is a function that accepts data and returns data in two ways:

function ATestFunction theInputData, at theOutputData

put theInputData & "-HELLO-" into theOutputData

return 76
end ATestFunction

To call it:

put ATestFunction("GoodBye",myData) into myResult

After this has been called, myData = "GoodBye-HELLO-" and myResult = 76

> How do I get the independent stack to start using the Main stack?
> The main
> stack is already in memory.

If you *really* want to do it this way, then all you do is put:

start using me

In the preOpenStack handler of the main stack.

Hope this helps
All the Best
Dave