Vscroll Property of a field that is scrolled to the end

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jul 6 15:58:10 EDT 2008

How do you get the vscroll of a field that would be scrolled all the way
to the end, without actually scrolling it to the end?

What I want to do is the "rolling credits" thing.

This works

CASE "About"
    put 1 into tAboutScroll
    REPEAT until the vscroll of fld "About" = 2714
# the 2714 here is hard coded value...
# I want to get it as a property regardless of what the field contains
or it's size, font etc.
      set the vscroll of fld "About" to tAboutScroll
      put tAboutScroll +1 into tAboutScroll
      IF the mouseclick THEN exit repeat
      wait 1 ticks
    END repeat
    break

But you have to customize that for every field... the 2714 is hard
coded. I'm trying to get generic script that I can toss around from one
stack to another and they still work...

put the formattedheight of fld "song"-the height of fld "song"- the
vscroll of fld "song"

always returns 6... so one can calculate the ending vscroll value from
this,  if I have the field scrolled to the very end.   Is this a
"solid" algorithm:

on scrollsong
     put 1 into tSongScroll
   put (the formattedheight of fld "song"-the height of fld "song"- 5)
into tEnd
    REPEAT until the vscroll of fld "Song" = tEnd

      set the vscroll of fld "song" to tSongScroll
      put tSongScroll +1 into tSongScroll
      IF the mouseclick THEN exit repeat
      wait 5 milliseconds
    END repeat
 end scrollsong

it feels like a bit of a hack....when I could be use some actual property.

skts