New RunRev demo of MySQL and SQLite

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 07:08:15 EDT 2008

I downloaded the new RunRev demo because I was re-installing it and that put
me on RunRev's mailing list which every week sends out a new advice for
using RunRev. It's pretty good. This week it sent me an excellent database
demo.

As far as I can tell this new demo is not available anywhere to find for
download if you search for it and is not in the User spaces on RunRev's
site. I think it should be. This demo also is only for MySQL and SQLite and
does not include Valentina which I think is also an oversite.

Anyway it is an excellent demo and uses a SQL for update that is interesting
and very hard to figure out.

It is:

  revExecuteSQL sDatabaseId, "UPDATE Example SET firstname = :1, lastname =
:2, email = :3, description = :4, icon = :5 WHERE id = :6", \

      "tFirstname", "tLastname", "tEmail", "tDescription", "*btIcon",
"pRecordId"

There is no info on who wrote the demo. It is called "Exploring Revolution:
Work with Databases"

*go stack URL "http://www.runrev.com/ws/databases.rev"*

Or you can get it by downloading it from:

http://www.runrev.com/ws/databases.zip<http://www.runrev.com/ws/databases.zip?id=112205>

I tried to add the feature of this demo also working with Valentina but that
is beyond my present ability.

I don't like how the demo updates each field individually instead of in one
call like "update panes" in the Valentina RunRev database demo. Updating
each fld individually would be useless for most people to copy in their
projects as most databases have hundreds of fields.

In any case the demo is cool and well worth exploring. Let me know what you
think.