WPAD and DHCP Servers

Robert Sneidar slylabs13 at mac.com
Tue Jul 1 16:11:27 EDT 2008

Hi Trevor.

Are you trying to set the TCP stack on the local machine to use DHCP
or are you trying to make an actual DHCP server IN Revolution?

To set the TCP stack on Macs in a terminal session you would use:

networksetup -setdhcp <networkservice>
networksetup -setdnsservers <networkservice> <dns1 dns2|"empty"> #
(the empty is for automatic DNS from the DHCP server)

Replace <networkservice> with the name of the device such as "Built-in
Ethnernet" or "AirPort". Note that these services are cASE sENSITIVE.
If there are spaces enclose in quotes. I usually just use quotes all
the time. Can't screw it up that way.

I think you may have trouble though if the current user is not an
Admin, in which case you will have to use sudo networksetup -setdhcp
<networkservice> and it will probably want the password the first time
you use sudo in that session.

for PC's in a command window use:

netsh interface ip set address name=<networkservice> source=dhcp

Again, you have to be logged in as an administrator. I am not sure
what the DNS command is, but you can use

netsh interface ip /?

to get more info.

Sorry if I am missing what you are trying to do.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management
Calvary Chapel CM