ScriptLimits (was Re: Rev cgi vs. php)

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jan 31 21:03:38 EST 2008

>> I guess it's worth noting (again) that Director has no equivalent to
>> scriptlimits
>
> No, but they did require that you put their logo on your About box,
> which is optional in Rev.   Chipp has expressed strong feelings about
> that here, citing it as a reason he stopped using Director.

I stopped using Director for new developments a few years ago now and only
pull it out for maintenance of legacy apps when absolutely necessary. The
about box was the least of my beefs with Director (don't get me started).

> The About box affects every developer, whereas scriptLimits has so far
> required only one developer to contact Kevin for a solution.
>
> Besides, is Lingo flexible enough to build the Director IDE with it?
> With my limited understanding of Lingo it doesn't seem the vendor faces
> much of a risk.

I certainly wouldn't like to try to recreate the Director IDE using Director
but I imagine you could use it to create a simple HyperCard like tool.

>> and over the years I have taken advantage of this to build a
>> number of educational tools that create relatively complex chunks of code on
>> the fly. These tools usually involve simulations that require the
>> user/student to construct a series of logical statements that will 'control'
>> the simulation. While it is possible to 'hard code' all the various options
>> creating the code on the fly is usually easier and more elegant.
>
> It would be cool to see that (like Judy and Richard Herz, I'm kind of a
> simulation junky).  Is it something that can be downloaded?

Most of these bits an bobs are 'lost' now, buried on the hard drives of old
macs under my house or (possibly) archived at one of the previous places I
worked at - so there's nothing really left to show - sorry. They were mostly
to do with the generation and 'sampling' of simulated vegetation communities
and were only ever used in-house. I've been working in a medical faculty for
a few years now so not much call for that sort of thing ;)

--
Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)

61-3 8344 0187