Leopard throb & images in a standalone

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Wed Jan 30 18:09:38 EST 2008

First of all, many thanks to Sarah, Jaqueline and Jim for the concise
and very easy to understand suggestions for my recent question about
using a stack with many cards vs. listfield/custom properties. As
simple as their suggestions were, they had tiny bits that are not
clear in the documentation, at least not for a non-coder like me. The
results are terrific, anywhere from a script taking 60 vs 1600
milliseconds down to 18 vs 34!  A terrific speed improvement, thanks
again! One strange thing though - Originally my data was in the many
card stack stored as custom properties, now all of that is a single,
very large custom property, so when I deleted the many card stack and
made a new standalone, I expected the file size to be about the same
if not slightly smaller, but instead it has grown by a couple of megs
(about 30%!). The new single custom property is just the sum of all
the old custom properties, and the only other changes are in a bunch
of scripts, which for the most part got shorter. Where did the extra
size come from?

Next question - how, if at all possible, can I make images in a
standalone selectable and copy and pastable? In the IDE, obviously,
yes, but clicking on an image in my standalone does not select it. I
am starting to think it is not meant to be, but that would seem odd to
me.

Last question - some of you may recall my Leopard "throb" question
from a week ago - where the shadow around the active window "throbs"
in Leopard when a handler with a visual effect is executed. Now I know
what causes it, but I don't know how to fix it, if that is even
possible. It happens with visual effect wipe on a window that has a
window shape, but not on a rectangular window.  Any way around this? I
really like my app windows to have slightly rounded corners, but I
also like some things to slide in and out like sheets. Ides anyone?

Cheers,

Lars