OT: on writing code

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 15:59:06 EST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:29:06 -0200, "Andre Garzia"
<andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

> Mikey,
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisptext.html
>
> There are copies available in PDF, TXT and others... I'm using the
> paper version.
>
> Lisp can be very elegant if you keep your functions small... Also
> emacs+slime can do lots of tricks for making it pretty when being
> displayed.
>
> Still, it is difficult to win over something as nice as xTalk.

How true - that paper gave me a nostalgic twinge, because I wrote my
very first program in LISP, in 1961 - it was an implementation of
Knuth's algorithm for working out the date of Easter. I thought it
was pretty elegant at the time, but after more than half a lifetime I
don't think I could go back there -  I have to admit I prefer xTalk.

Graham