URL Scheme Handled by a Rev Application

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Jan 26 12:02:30 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Andres Martinez wrote:

> Thanks to your help I am already getting a URL to open a Rev App and
> pass some parameters. But only on Mac OS X.
>
> Now I want to do the same on Windows. Trevor told me how to receive
> parameters (thanks again) but first I need to change the registry in
> order for Windows to launch the application when the URL is called.
>
> I found that Rev already has a function called setRegistry(). But it
> seems to be a very delicate procedure and I want to know if any of
> you have done this same surgery before.
>
> As far as I know I need to do the following:
>
> - Add a new key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT called 'myprog'
> - Add an empty string to this key called 'URL Protocol'
> - Add the sub-keys:  \shell\open\command
> - Set the value of the default string inside the command key to: " c:
> \my prog\prog.exe %1"

Andres,

This is a pretty standard modification to the registry so don't be
scared :-)

Here is an example that registers an app to process a url protocol.
Note that I am setting ssurl\URL Protocol to a space. This is because
Rev deletes registry keys if you set the key to an empty value. I'm
not sure if that is the wisest way to go about it but that is what Rev
does. In any case the protocol still works with the value set to space.

on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
     put "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" into thePrefix
     put setregistry(thePrefix & "myurl\", "URL:Alert Protocol") into
wasSuccessful
     put setregistry(thePrefix & "myurl\URL Protocol", " ") into
wasSuccessful
     put setregistry(thePrefix & "myurl\shell\open\command\", \
             quote & "C:\Program Files\ScreenSteps\ScreenSteps.exe" &
quote && quote & "%1" & quote) into wasSuccessful
end mouseUp

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore