copy/paste shortcuts

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Jan 24 15:48:33 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Mark Swindell wrote:

> Thanks for posting this and for the explanation of what may be
> happening.  I voted for the bug post.  I think it's very important
> that this is straightened out.  People expect things to work as they
> do everywhere else.  This isn't a good thing for new users who may
> find this to be a metaphor for the greater integrity of Rev.  And
> it's a pain.  I've been doing a lot of editing and manually moving
> card elements and script snippets, and it is really a hassle.  GLX2
> also has issues with cut and paste and retaining clipboard info.
> Perhaps dependent on the engine confusions you describe, but also
> frustrating.  I'm learning to work around them, but it is not the
> way things ought to be.

At this point I am pretty certain that any keyboard shortcuts not
firing or objects not receiving messages they are supposed to are
related to focusedObject/selectedField being out of sync. I have been
studying the issue for the last few months while working on the
ScreenSteps 2 UI as I was seeing messages being sent to the wrong
objects.

What is important to realize is that the issues you are seeing in the
Rev IDE can manifest themselves in your applications since it is an
engine issue. It just depends on whether your app performs operations
that confuse the engine. In GLX2 you aren't having cut/paste issues
because GLX2 is doing things it shouldn't be doing. You see them
because it is doing something that trips up the engine and exposes the
bug.

So it is in everyone's best interest that the focusedObject/
selectedField issue be fixed as it would greatly enhance the
reliability of the engine and people's perception of products made
with the engine.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore