OT Re: Look and Learn . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 16:21:58 EST 2008

"snob", "ignorant" . . .

Yum, yum

2 points here and then it is probably time for both
Wolfgang and myself to go and gets a good night's
sleep (in, take note, our separate beds):

1. As a teacher of EFL and a speaker of really bad
Bulgarian I am well aware how difficult it is for
non-native speakers to learn the concept of register
in a target language. "snob" in the way I used it, and
"ignorant" in the way Wolfgang used it (probably owing
to his misunderstanding of how I used "snob") belog to
entirely different registers:

"snob" is never really offensive; and in my message
was intended to be an example of self-mockery; not to
be taken entirely seriously.

"ignorant" in the way Wolfgang used it was pretty
offensive.

2. As a teacher of EFL and a speaker of really bad
Bulgarian, and, as a result being bl**dy good at
"putting my foot in it" in several languages, I am not
offended in the slightest by Wolfgang; and all I can
say is that I find the whole thing rather funny.

Lots of love, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.