Jan, Dick, Mark, thanks!

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 11:33:34 EST 2008

Thanks so much guys for this.  One sees how easy it can be when you know how.
I will hack away and try these.  And actually, they are a lot more terse than
what I'm getting in awk.

Its sort of academic about 2.6.1 and linux printing now, since we are moving
to 2.9, but it is really weird.  On my debian system, the printing doesn't
work at all, and I only get a few of the fonts, but the ones that can be used
look quite good in the sizes they can be used in, which is not all by any
means.

On Mandriva 2006, there were more (but not all) fonts, and they all looked
good in all sizes.  Don't know about printing.

These were both running gnome.

Now on Mandriva 2008, running KDE, we have all the installed fonts, which is
good, but they look terrible!  Jagged or blurry.  And here unaccountably
printing seems to work though without bringing up any print dialogues from
the system.

What a relief it will be when 2.9 final hits!

Peter