Constructing and calling a handler as "do"

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 03:17:03 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 11:30 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Kay C Lan wrote:
> > ...midWord capitalization for me dates back to the origin of
> HyperCard...
>
> Oh, it's much, much older than that, older than the Pascal that helped
> inspire it....

Inspire, I like that word. I'm often amazed and inspired by how a single job
can be done multiple ways in Rev.  I really like the little scripting
'friendlies' that occasionally appear on List to see how others skin the
cat. A recent one was about the use of arrowKey. Others offered solutions
using rawKeyUp, mouseUp/Down but I believe Richard, you were award the
'elegant' solution prize by the use of selectionChanged. Inspiring. Not
conventional, but some excellent lateral thinking.

I never got into Pascal, C or most any other language as you need to think
too much in compuspeak and not enough in English. So for me, naming
conventions date back to the origins of HC.

Whilst conventions are logically necessary, how uninspiring would it be to
stick with dated conventions when new technologies bring us new capabilities
which lateral thinking people put to good use that may suggest that a new
convention should be written to inspire new comers to the broader horizons
of todays xTalk rather than the narrow restriction of yesteryears languages.

And just to finish off this tangent. Have you noticed the influx of new
posters on this List. Is that a function of the super bundle? (IMO it seemed
the SB was like preaching to the converted, ie Rev wasn't at MacWorld - but
hopefully I'm wrong) Whether they are or not, I'm certainly looking forward
to some more inspired lateral uses of Rev.