Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Tue Jan 15 16:14:05 EST 2008

Wrong assumptions. Rev works completely in RAM after loading. Save to
disk is only done under command or script control.
What you're seeing as disk activity is probably virtual memory in
your OS. Rev doesn't touch that.

Most of us have given up the card data metaphor for serious projects.
Forget the speed issue - having business code and data mixed together
is just bad practice.

What you might consider 'lacking' is a trade-off most of us are happy
to accept considering all the other advantages. I'm sure the makers
of Rev have a good technical reason.  And I frankly don't care about
the card metaphor - to me it's just to accommodate legacy hypercard
stacks for the transition and simple applications and documentation.
There are so many ways to store data. Even in my Hypercard days I
started storing data in resource forks of stacks.    The great
Rinaldi had an XCMD set that could save and get text in TEXT
resources that could be edited in ResCopy or ResEdit. They were just
like todays custom properties in Rev.

I was looking for ways to improve data use in Hypercard back in the
90's as one of the first users of the SQL database 'Butler'. It was
the first SQL server built to run on a mac.  Unfortuately the server
was buggy and the XCMDs worse, it was crashing too much to even
develop more than a few lines of SQL.

There's a lot more 'stuff' on a Rev card than a Hypercard 'card', so
I guess moving and searching among the cards causes some messaging to
occur, and some amount of housekeeping is done on each page change. A
lot of this stuff goes away with  lock screen etc.

But boy, if you're used to Hypercard speed and you hook up a real
database to Rev... it will blow your socks off with speed and has so
many more features you can apply to your data.. like working on
entire columns at once, aggregate functions, etc.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o