Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Randall Lee Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Mon Jan 14 16:21:54 EST 2008

Jerry,

On many of your points I agree.  It is possible (though definitely
not automatic) to store data external to a stack (in a text file) and
use cards as UI modes; different ways of viewing and interacting with
the raw (external) data.  When HyperCard was born, data was static or
reasonably static lists of friends and family (the personal rolodex),
or limited storage of content (anatomical parts, insect facts,
gardening tips).  Today, data is expected to be dynamic... isn't
trusted if it isn't.  In fact, we are realizing that local data is
dead data... that the only way to expect data to stay relevant if
lots and lots of people and organizations have access to it (as
authors and editors).

The fact that you can force the xTalk card/stack metaphor fit this
new dynamic model of data doesn't really mean this force is ideal...
quite the opposite.  The only real reason I can come up with when I
ask my self why I use xTalk still or why I would recommend it to
others just starting out, is that the language and creation metaphor
are so human... that and the fact that the ideal solution doesn't
exist yet.  Nothing that humanizes the access, manipulation and
analysis of dynamic data yet exists.  Said another way, nobody has
yet HyperCard-ed dynamic data use affordances.

What would it take to do this?  What would a humanization of dynamic
data handling look like?  Well, the basis of useful data is typing...
somehow divining the data storage (or live access) organization
protocol of the source and automatically setting up reasonable
affordances for presenting this data (should it be presented as a
graph or a trellis or a table or a list or a ontological tree or a
topology or a simulation or a linear story or 2 or 3D diagram...?
How should the user filter the data for relevant subsets or
patterns?  How should the user select boundaries?  Should the
environment auto locate anomalies, averages, patterns, symmetries,
exceptions, repetitions, duplicates, periods, growth, semantic
crossovers, data type confusions, source location or entity,
acquisition method, authority, agreement, etc.?  How should
linguistic or mathematic semantics be brought to bare in all of this?

I don't  know exactly what HyperCard-ing or xTalk-ing dynamic data
would look like... but I do know that RunRev and SuperCard and
HyperCard are not it.  I also know that someone somewhere will offer
up a solution that is good enough and this will be the next true
revolution in user level complexity handling.

Google is in a good position to lead us into this promised land...
but I don't see them doing so fast.  What they need to get better at
(I would be surprised if they weren't hard at work on this) is client
side/server side shared computing and its sundry tools.  Surely they
don't want to own the mips such a scheme would require (or do
they?)!  I guess we are talking about a "web 3.0" vision.  Does
anyone remember the Kaleida Project (Apple, IBM, et. al.) http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleida_Labs?  One of there big pushes was a
user level instantiation of the model/viewer/controller development
framework.  What they really didn't get (and it might have killed
them) was the network or cloud as base or source, and exactly HOW
dynamic data would become because of it.  But the demos I saw at the
time showed discrete interest in making manipulation of data a live
and user level process where the experience and manipulation of data
was assumed to be a dynamic process.  However, though these concepts
were reafiable within the ScriptX language, they were no more
automatic than they are in your run of the mill xTalk incarnation.
ScriptX had full object support... sat on top of a true OO method and
data model.  But scripting looked more like C++ or Lingo than any
natural language I have ever spoken.  Nothing I have mentioned
previously that would be required to automate dynamic data access and
manipulation was included at base architecture in the IDE.

Who will do it first?

Randall