BootCamp (was: Re: Creating .icns files on Mac.)

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Wed Jan 9 13:35:57 EST 2008

Hi Richard,

Some great points you raise. I'm not at all against using Parallels/VMWare,
but I think it's desirable to have a single Windows partition accessible via
BootCamp. These days, it probably makes sense for the BootCamp partition to
be Vista.

Here's what I consider to be required reading:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.24/24.02/VirtualizationBenchmark/

or

http://tinyurl.com/yvfy9k

As you can see, virtual machines actually outperform native Windows XP in
some circumstances!

As for why I need to boot into "true-blue" Windows, there are some programs
that don't work right when run under virtualization. One of them is a
utility I use to use my cell phone as a modem. It's not available for Mac,
and the virtual machines assume you're going to use the Mac's networking
hardware, not the virtual machine's.

Having the BootCamp partition on my Mac has saved my hide more than a couple
times just by virtue of being able to get online when other net connectivity
was not available. (And EVDO proved to be pretty snappy.)

As the article above shows, the virtual software runs Vista like molasses.
So speed is a reason to put Vista on BootCamp.

Another reason is games. The VMs do a poor job currently of emulating
DirectX.

I don't see it as much of a sacrifice to maintain 10GB or 15GB of space for
BootCamp. It's dual-purposed for the VM software, and it's there when I need
it. For everything else (Linux), I would use a virtual machine.

Bill