tapping into finder events

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Tue Jan 8 20:40:56 EST 2008

Randall, from what I can see, fslogger runs as a unix command in the
shell. However, it may be possible to "open process fslogger". It
needs to be run as root, so that's one complication. I don't think
you can make it send AppleEvents, so you'd have to either have the
shell redirect it's output to a file, if running in the shell, or
'read from process' if started with 'open process'. You'd then need
to parse it's output (not too hard, from the look of it), and since
it includes "type: pid 568 (finder)" in it's output, you could ignore
those messages that are not finder type messages.

How well this would work in practice I have no idea, but I think it
could be done.

One other thought is tha since fslogger uses the same underlying
notification mechanism as Spotlight, it may be possible to do
something (maybe applescript?) with Spotlight. I'm not very well up
on Spotlight, but it might be worth a little research...

Mark