What about a Mac Mini and Paralles to run RunRev?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 14:47:46 EST 2008

On 1/5/08 11:35 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Mark Rauterkus wrote:
>> How does RunRev work on a Mac Mini with a dual boot via Parallels and/or
>> Bootcamp?
>
> I can't speak for the Mac Mini, but I've been running Rev in Windows
> under Parallels for many moons and I love the convenience.
>
> In fact, on the MacBook I'm typing this on I have VMs for Vista, XP,
> Ubuntu, and Kubuntu.   This computer has only 2 gigs RAM and it all
> works swimmingly:  no "swapping out" OSes with Parallels as there is
> with Bootcamp - just launch what you need whenever you need it and run
> it along side (in "parallel", if you will) your primary OS.
>
> I keep backups of my VMs on a portable FW drive.  If my Win VM ever gets
> infected I just throw it out and go to a backup - easier than with a
> physical machine.
Mac mini works just fine for me, but I don't push any limits.
Got the 2 gig RAM upgrade, running VMWare (which is pretty much the same
thing as Parallels).

First install Apple's Bootcamp, then install Windows on that partition (20
gig should be large enough).  Now your Mac mini is a dual boot using the
option key

Next, boot as a Mac, then install Parallels as an app.  Launching the
Parallels app should give you the choice of using the Bootcamp installation
of Windows.  VMWare does this, so I assume Parallels does, since they are
nicely vigorous competitors.

Activate the OSX Finder, install Rev, launch and run, create apps and exe's,
saving to the Mac HDrive.  You can now drag and drop the exe's to the
Windows desktop, double click and run!

Now activate the Windows desktop, install Rev, launch and run, create apps
and exe's, saving to the Windows C: drive.  You can now drag and drop the
apps to the Finder desktop, double click and run.

Thus both IDE's and all apps and exe's can be running at the same time.

Hope this helps.
PS... by keeping the Bootcamp partition small enough, you can write files
from the Mac directly to C: drive.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas