Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Sat Jan 5 14:33:11 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in your thoughts on a design question.  Most of my
stacks are database-like, and it is as important to be able to access
many records resulting from a search as it is to view the individual
records one at a time.  So my question is, given the speed of
Revolution as compared to good old Hypercard, is there any big
advantage to storing data from each record on individual cards as
opposed to maintaining, say, a tab-delimited list field that populates
a single card with the record's data when that records line in the
list field is clicked?  (Is that how Apple's Mail program works?)  Is
the use of one card for each record faster?  More reliable in some
way?  The reason I ask is that even with many cards, I usually need a
list field for navigation and searches, and I have to build checks to
make sure the data is synchronized between cards and the list field.

Regards,

	Gregory