New User Doc Whine & What?

Mike Arnold ma at snowcamp.org
Thu Jan 3 13:07:29 EST 2008

New user of RR Studio 2.8.1 Build 472 on Mac OS/X 10.4.11 PPC G4.

I have put together the beginnings of an application that uses mySQL,
with a mainstack and (so far) 3 substacks.  Things are going slow,
but making progress.  Took a while to figure out why my mainstack's
openstack & closestack scripts got control when I opened/closed a
substack ... almost seems like a bug, but I am getting the hang of
it, I think. (added null message handlers to substacks and all was
well)  Still trying to figure out what goes in openCard vs openStack
... normal learning curve.  I've got menus and custom properties,
hiding/showing controls, etc.

Then I decided to add a checkbox button.  Spent an inordinate amount
of time trying to figure out how to retrieve the check/not-checked
status.  Very frustrating.  No where could I find it documented.
The are both containers ... but 'field "myField"' returns the
contents of a field, though 'button "myButton"' does not return the
checked status.  I assigned a value of false to the button, and it
retained it forever (so a check box _is_ a container, just not
related to the check box status).  I finally looked at an example
that had a check box to find the hilite property (well keyword, the
hilite property in the dictionary says it is used to set the value,
not test it).  Who would have thought ...

A BNF of the language would be most helpful, does one exist?  Or
really any complete language reference.

Is there a message reference?  In the video about how to find
information, it shows (what seems to be) pre-2.8.1 documentation, and
just from the short clip, it looks like this documentation could help
somewhat (there was a short clip of a message reference too).  After
my open/closeStack default message passing incident,  I feel a sudden
need to know every message.

And just now, my variable watch window decided to not show most
variables.  Instead, it shows the variable names in the values.
Before the variable is set and right after, doesn't matter, just the
variable name (vpharmacy | vpharmacy).  The script continues to work
and the message box displays the correct values, but the variable
watch window is no longer functional. (it worked before)

thanks in advance and appologies for the whine,
Mike.