about the message path

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Thu Feb 28 17:34:28 EST 2008

Bonjour Thierry,

Le 28 févr. 08 à 17:53, Thierry a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> As Richard point out his nice tutorial about
> extending the Runtime Revolution Path,
> the question which still bothers me is
>
> how the plugin concept fit into the message hierarchy ?
>
> Didn't find much on this topic ?
>
> Any pointer ?
>
> Regards,
> Thierry

Actually a plugin is a stack like any another one but...
If you look at 'Plugin Settings' in 'Development' menu, you'll see
that a plugin is able to receive a lot of specific messages like
revMouseMove or revSelectionChanged: this means that these system
messages (mouseMove or selectionChanged) will be sent to the default
stack but to your plugin too(using the rev prefix)  to let you act
accordingly.
These messages are sent to the plugin stack when specified (actually
there are some custom properties set by the IDE in the plugin stack
that allow this: I am not going to be more precise unless you need
it :-)
Another thing is that you can name your plugin with a name beginning
by 'rev': revMyPlugin.
In such a case, the plugin will act as rev IDE windows (for instance
it will be hidden when you open a script editor) but debugging such
named stacks is more difficult: you'll have to set gRevDevelopment
global variable to true to achieve the goal.
But to be frank, it's never as simple as it appears...

Nevertheless, hope this helps.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.