UI performance and large data set in Table Object

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 15:30:18 EST 2008

--- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Jan Schenkel wrote:
>
> >> Now when large record sets are returned from a
> >> search, the UI (user
> >> interface) slows down, especially when resizing
> the
> >> stack to see more
> >> records in the table object. When resizing with
> no
> >> records, the UI is
> >> performs normally with fast resizing.
> > The problem is two-fold: it's a lot of data that
> has
> > to go through some pipe before it arrives in
> > Revolution, and Revolution then has to process and
> > format a lot of that to determine what to actually
> > display on screen, recalculate the size of the
> > scrollbar, etc.
>
> FWIW, I did some subjective tests with scrolling
> large amounts of data
> in Rev vs. Word, Excel, and others. Rev outperformed
> them all, quite
> noticeably.
>
> So if it seems slow, try the same size data anywhere
> else.  Sometimes a
> lot of data just takes a long time to redraw.
>
> Fortunately the user will likely resize a window
> infrequently.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Managing Editor, revJournal

Excellent point, Richard - Revolution is indeed much
faster than the MS behemoths. Combining Mark's advice
of caching the data in an off-screen buffer with the
'fake-threaded' chunked download approach, allows us
to squeeze every drop of performance out of our
favourite development tool...

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====