Inter-Application Communication on Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 13 12:41:49 EST 2008

Dave wrote:
> I have an application that periodically creates or updates an SQLite
> database (actually there are lots of databases (separate SQLite
> files), but only one is worked on at a time) and then sends the
> results to the server. This process can take upwards of 15 minutes to
> complete. In the meantime I want to be able to still use the
> application to do other things (such as create playlists in iTunes).

I'd use sockets, or polling for a file.  While polling a file's content
can eat some cycles, polling for the existence of a file is pretty darn
fast.  Given the scenario you describe, where you're not really
expecting a result for several minutes, you could probably get away with
polling for a file every few seconds.  Cheap, simple, reasonably efficient.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal