Inter-Application Communication on Windows

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Feb 13 10:53:48 EST 2008

Hi All,

I've been working on a way of getting two RunRev Standalone's to
communicate with each other. I've implemented a simple message
passing mechanism on Macintosh using AppleEvents. This seems to work
quite well. I now need something similar for Windows. I don't mind
writing an External Command Handler in C/C++ to do this, and AFAIK I
can do this using Win32 API Calls. However, on the Mac I have a
handler for the "appleEvent" message, this gets called asynchronously
whenever the other application send an AppleEvent. Can I achieve the
same or similar under Windows? e.g. AppA gets a Message sent to it
when there is a message ready to be read or some such? The only other
way I can think of achieving this would be for the main application
to periodically execute a "poll" handler which calls the External
Command and read the message(s) from a queue?

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

All the Best
Dave