Doing my own geometry

Steve Checkley steve.taxcalc at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 15:36:00 EST 2008

> Rev uses OS system calls to draw windows, so I'm not sure what wouldn't
> look right. Some of what I said won't apply if you don't have a native
> growbox for the user to drag though. You would, in that case, have to
> roll your own stack resizing handlers. Rev 2.9 has some Leopard
> compatibility fixes and isn't too far off, so you might be able to save
> yourself some trouble if you wait a bit.

I'm trying to emulate the look of Automator as it appears in Leopard. Its bottom bar contains some controls and is about 22 pixels high. The standard Rev growbox is that of a document, which would be something like 16 pixels tall. It also has a frame around it, which some Mac apps like Automator don't have.

I'm quite excited about 2.9, but haven't spent too much time trying out the beta.

I tried doing my own geometry with the mouseMove set up that you described so well in your article. I must admit it was a lot quicker but still not as fast as the native geometry manager. Mind you, I do most of my coding on an 800Mhz Mac and I am shifting a lot of images, buttons and fields about in order to get that perfect UI.

I'll stick with the native geometry manager for the time being as I'm only aware of it mucking up in one situation only.

Cheers,

Steve