about Voyager Expanded Books

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Feb 2 21:21:24 EST 2008

As for Quark: they "ate us alive" (10's M's of $ over * of years, for -2
new features +3 new bugs) until we escaped into the only slightly more
benevolent world of Adobe CS. Re buy and kill off.. mTropolis, not a big
loss (we have Revolution) much greater tragedy was MS killing  "Living
Cells" Now *that* was a truly new species of software that was made
extinct before it even got on it's legs.

Randall Lee Reetz wrote:
> Am i the only one who thinks it is hilarious when hypercard and its xtalk progeny are refered to as hypertext ore hypermedia environments or tools?  Have you ever tried to emplement a true generlized hyper-linking into your projects or stacks?  There is absolutely no pre-built infrastructure for "hyper" anything in xtalk. None!  Just the word.  The original snow job.  The first "branding" exercise.  Enough b.s. to drive good old ted nelson crazy.
>
> randall

ummm I guess it depends on your definition of Hyperlinking...

"Have you ever tried to emplement a true generalized hyper-linking into
your projects or stacks?"

Yes and my guess is so have many other's here... it's like, what...  5
lines of code? Of course "generalized hyper-linking" is not a
specification. I must have 20-30 different implementations of hyper
linking... depends on what you want to do...

I've been dynamically locking field in my on PIM for years and then
doing stuff with the clicktext of links.
there are any number of variations of what was probably one of the most
obvious uses of "hypertext" from the day I first open Hybercard in 1983
(or was it 86?... can't remember)  it always qualified as "hypertext" to
me...

global gLastLineHandled

on mouseDown
  if controlkey()="Down" then
  set the locktext of the target to true
  set the traversalOn of the target to false
    choose browse tool
  end if
end mouseDown

on mouseup
  if the hilite of btn "organize" then put word 2 of the clickline into
gLastLineHandled
  if optionkey()="Down" then
    set the locktext of the target to false
    set the traversalOn of the target to true
  else
    pass mouseup
  end if
end mouseup
on linkClicked tSubject
  findLinkedItems tSubject
  put  tSubject into gLastLink
end linkClicked

on makeLink
  if the selection is empty then
    answer "You need to select something." with "OK"
    exit makeLink
  else
    put the selection into jai
    set the textstyle of the selection to link
    open stack "Linked Entries"
    if exists (card jai)  then
    exit makeLink
    else
   new card
    put jai into fld "Subject"
    set the name of this card to fld "subject"
    send upDateIndex to stack "linked Entries"
    end if
  end if
end makeLink

though, now, it looks like OmniFocus is a product that actually beats my
own PIM......