unicode from a rev cgi

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Dec 31 12:40:00 EST 2008

On Dec 31, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Jim Sims wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Devin.
>
> Yup, I've stumbled upon the adding font tags workaround/hack. That
> brings up a question
> of what tags to add if the user is not speaking english. The tag
> "lang=en-UC"
> implies to me that the "en" is for english. Perhaps that does not make
> any difference
> and I can use that tag even if the user is Dutch? The display of the
> text should
> be the same no matter the language of the viewer I suppose.

I think the "en-UC" stands for "english-Unicode", but that's just an
educated guess. The second part of the code seems to be optional,
because it will also work if you just use "el", which is the language
name code for modern Greek. There's some good information here:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/web/tips/langtag.html
http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso639.txt
http://userpage.chemie.fu-berlin.de/diverse/doc/ISO_3166.html

I find that getting the right combination is a matter of trial and
error.

>> As an alternative, would it be possible to encode the unicode text
>> from the form as UTF-8 before saving it to the text file? At least
>> it would be a bit cleaner that way.
>
> Thanks for providing this direction to my research on the issue. Might
> be a winner  ;-)

It's cleaner to transport electronically, but I still use unicode html
entities often because it's a little easier to control formatting
elements like font and style that way.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay