Zlib decompression - Any ideas?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Dec 30 17:33:29 EST 2008

On 12/29/08 6:09 PM, "Brian Yennie" <briany at qldlearning.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately it sounds like you are dealing with a Windows "zip"
> archive which is different from a "gzip" encoded archive. See this
> post for a nutshell explanation:
> http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/2615.html
>
> In short, they are related but not interoperable. You will probably
> have to tap into an actual "zip" library if these files have been
> compressed using a different algorithm than gzip.
>
> With that said, there should be command-line "zip" utilities for every
> OS, so you might still be able to include those and use shell() calls.

No, that doesn't seem to work either, none of the compression/decompression
utilities seem to be able to identify that it is a compressed file.

On 12/29/08 6:10 PM, "Mark Smith" <lists at futilism.com> wrote:
> One last idea - what does the data actually look like? If you examine
> the files and find that the first n bytes are the same in each one,
> it may be possible to simply strip off that n bytes and pass the rest
> to 'decompress'...

Just tried that, and 7zip as well... no go. :-(

> ps. I suppose it might be an idea to ask about the format of
> 'TCompressedstreams' (or whatever it was) in a Delphi forum.

I *think* I found a VB DLL I can use to decompress it... I'll post back If
it doesn't work...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com