Date stamp a stack

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Dec 30 03:00:21 EST 2008

Hi Jacqui,

> Zygodact [...] does not handle trial date expirations automatically. [...]
> The Zygodact manual has suggestions on how to manage that, but any of the
> ways discussed on the list will work as well.

Aha, I missed that detail! But perhaps you're a little modest. The
documentation provides complete sample scripts for handling trial periods
via a hidden stack, and re-registration of the software once a full code is
obtained... I haven't implemented Zygodact yet, but it was such a thorough
coverage of the issue that in my memory it was recorded as support for it
:))

> I've considered adding trial date tracking to Zygodact, but I have mixed
> feelings about it. There are some reasons it probably should not be
> implemented, and should be left to the software author instead.

Yes, there are a variety of schemes for trials, and not all of them are
time-limited. Some publishers offer a limited number of program launches
before a trial ends, instead of a specific timeframe, for example.

Since Zygodact generates the activation codes, I think it would be a handy,
optional feature to bake an encoded expiry date into trial codes, ala
Revolution trials. The developer can't really customize that aspect of the
system, right? Hm, maybe if they appended an encoded date before/after/into
the code generated by Zygodact?

Anyway, codes with embedded expiry dates is probably a more foolproof way to
ensure people don't abuse trials. A weakness of the hidden stack/file
approach is that a user can simply find that file and delete it to
reactivate a trial. This way, they have to request a new key to keep a trial
going. Not perfect, but you could at least see when emails keep coming in
from the same IP address, mail server, etc. (Without the kind of "phone
home" activation most users find offensive, you can't really do anything
about determined trial abusers.)

- Bill

p.s.: congrats on a great new revSelect product!