OT2: The 'realness' of languages

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Mon Dec 22 12:46:21 EST 2008

once Revolution collects the critical mass of developers and "well
known" cross platform software products created with it, the transition
should happen automagically. In general the situation is such that we
have more than 50 other languages standing in front of Revolution if we
sort them by popularity (www.tiobe.com), so the statistics is not on our
side unless Revolution Ltd introduces something so valuable, so
efficient, so universal (see list below) that everyone would not resist
getting a copy of Rev...

I guess some people who explore potential of Revolution for their
projects might dislike the following issues:
1) lack of hardware accelerated 3D engine (what if I wish to add a
decent 3D visualization feature into my software, I will be stuck if I
use Revolution..)
2) objects limited to GUI (I will not be able to create my own invisible
object with its properties and use it in consistent manner like other
objects of Revolution. e.g. set the height of object "myCube" or get the
mass of object "Planet"). I am not speaking about complicated OOP here,
just about lacking possibility to create simple non-GUI objects, not
resorting to workarounds.
3) pixel by pixel image manipulation is slow, in Java one can create
smooth animations by manipulating individual pixels in real-time, in
Revolution it is still too slow.
4) can I easily use  library written in C/C++ ? No... I need to hire a
C/C++ programmer to write a wrapper. Or C/C++/Revolution programmer
which is yet more difficult to find. This inhibits the spread of
Revolution. For example REXX language has The Generic Call Interface
(GCI, http://rexx-gci.sourceforge.net/) which allows a REXX-only
solution for calling external function packages without a wrapper
library. Many would like a thing like this for Revolution.
5) syntax, well, at least Director folks say that popularity of Lingo
increased once they introduced alternative dot syntax which requires
less typing.

So, they might consider choosing Revolution if they are 100% sure they
will never ever need smooth 3D graphics, direct image manipulation, own
objects, external libraries and feel comfortable with its syntax. I
still believe we will have those things in 5 years or so...

All the best!
Viktoras