OT2: The 'realness' of languages

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Dec 22 12:29:05 EST 2008

>After I told her I used Revolution for its rapid-development and
>cross-platform capabilities, a subtle change occurred in the
>conversation.
>She began talking about how I might help with the design, but that
>of course when the design was finished a software firm would take
>over the development (presumably in some 'real' language like C).  I
>didn't bother to tell her I COULD write in C, Java, PERL, PHP and so
>on, because it would be extraordinarily painful to do so.

Why not tell her that then, if you felt you lost anyway? The only
answer to fight the myths is education.

This is similar to the 'loudness wars' in the music business, where
untrained amateur 'mastering' engineers and forced professionals are
making LOUD CDs, even though they know they're trampling the dynamics
and it makes the music worse.  Loud CDs use 'hypercompression' - not
data compression but audio compression in the digital realm, which is
at first interesting but eventually tedious to listen to. (think
Ricky Martin and Britany for extremes)
The myth is that these records sound 'better' on the radio, but they
really don't. But the myth really goes back to the vinyl days, that
had limitations: if it was cut too soft it would be enveloped in
noise. On the other hand there was a limit to how much time you could
put on a disc. Louder records were shorter in length, quieter were
longer.  That's why Miles Davis's 'In A Silent Way' is so quiet.
Almost an hour playing time!

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o