[OT] If programming languages were religions...

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sun Dec 21 17:40:24 EST 2008

Randall,

I'm not sure where your angst is coming from. This list if full of
people (myself included) that have given every possible credit to
SmallTalk, Hypercard, Supercard, et al. Nobody disagrees that Rev is
most certainly an xTalk language. I'm afraid you have vastly
underestimated (and belittled) the experience of people around here.
There are plenty of us who know darn well every last bit of xTalk
history and are quite familiar with other languages, including the
almighty C. People here have done every imaginable thing from day 1 of
xTalk's existence.

Calling out "awkward logic", "rhetoric" and "Coolaid" drinking won't
get you very far and I'm quite sure that disagreeing with you is not
tantamount to failing to grasp your clear argument. Shockingly, many
of us completely understand your points, completely grasp several
programming languages and all of the history of xTalk and yet still
would disagree with you.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I for one need not
drink Kool-Aid to disagree with it.

Finally, your claim that RunRev has not made any significant
improvements to xTalk doesn't hold much water with me. Just for
starters, try a "repeat for each" loop in Hypercard. Or arrays. Or
say, running everything on Windows and Linux. Or as pure CGI scripting
language. Or try writing native socket scripts. Or compare the
performance of the compiler. Or imageData. Or... the many other things
I could surely name given more than a moment's thought.