[OT] If programming languages were religions...

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sat Dec 20 07:47:47 EST 2008

On 20 Dec 2008, at 04:41, Randall Reetz wrote:

> I wish people would use the term xtalk when refering to this
> language its structure and lexicon both come intact from hypercard
> and smalltalk before that.  Revenue is a great integration synthesis
> of xtalk and a cross platform runtime engines, but the language is
> xtalk all the way in.  Seems only fair.  No?

No. Time for car analogies (Noooo!!!):

If someone comes to the car salesman, and says "I'd want to buy a
Lexus". Would you argue he'd be better off to say "I'd want to buy any
car"?

Xtalk is a loose description of  types of languages, which includes
hypercard as well as Rev. Of course the analogy will break down
quickly if you ask 10 xtalk followers whether applescript is an xtalk
language or not.

Describing stuff is always hard, especially with the name trinity of
RunRev marketing, but using xtalk for just one language will probably
garner you some internet hate :)

Have Fun
Björnke
--