Flash + RevBrowser + Mac Problems

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sat Dec 20 02:31:48 EST 2008

Scott,

Two quick thoughts:

1) Have you tried this outside of Rev on both platforms to see if it's
a RevBrowser issue versus browser problem?

2) You might try playing with the "wmode" parameter for embedding your
Flash in HTML. This can control whether Flash content gets its own
window to render in, or draws directly into the browser. The basic
values are "window", "opaque" or "transparent". Generally "window"
gives the best performance because it creates its own window and
doesn't have to meld itself in with the rest of the web page;
however... if you are having focus issues it might be worth trying
opaque. Maybe having Rev + RevBrowser + Flash all glued together in 3
windows (I believe RevBrowser uses its own window) is causing some
sort of window juggling issues.

3) The only other thing I can recommend is to simply look at how you
might optimize the Flash project itself. Can you reduce the frame rate
w/o hurting the user experience? Can you cut down the number of
animations or size of graphics? Can you take advantage of any of the
Bitmap methods in AS3 (apparently these really help in games)?

FWIW, I've heard Flash people groan over Mac performance in general,
but at the same time my Mac seems to hold up pretty well against
similar PCs for the stuff I do.

HTH