OT: Apple Announces Its Last Year at Macworld

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Dec 19 14:36:22 EST 2008

Lynn-

Thursday, December 18, 2008, 10:33:54 AM, you wrote:

> http://www.lynnfredricks.com/2008/12/17/why-apple-said-goodbye-to-macworld-a
> nd-why-it-makes-sense/

Good writeup. I notice you stop short of pointing the finger at IDG,
and I realize there are valid business reasons why you wouldn't do
that, so I'll help out:

(disclaimer: I've never had anything good to say about IDG, and I'm
not about to start now)

My dissatisfaction with IDG probably dates to when the lackluster
MacWorld magazine bought out the much better MacUser magazine,
decimated its staff and removed all the useful content. It didn't help
matters much to see fellow developers no longer able to/interested in
shelling out big bucks for small booths at MacWorld Expo, and the
prices of those booths rising year after year. Nor having the
developers section in a separate ghetto for a few years, then finally
dropped altogether. I do blame IDG for the smaller size of trade shows
over the last few years, due to the high barrier of entry.

Personally, my dealings with IDG in trying to set up user resources
have been dismal. I'm quite happy to see Apple pull the plug. IDG has
gotten into pissing contests with Steve Jobs before, and there's only
one outcome from that.

I always go to MacWorld expo, and I'll continue to do so as long as it
exists (shouldn't be too much longer) because it's local and I can get
in free. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. And that's just as an attendee,
not as an exhibitor.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net