[WTT] Problems I didn't expect

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Sun Dec 14 17:49:11 EST 2008

[WTT]: Worse than totally tangential

Dear all,

I'm just back from the "Escalade" commemoration in Geneva, some very
nice hours with mulled wine and vegetable soup and historical parade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Escalade
) and I discover 38 new messages from the list. Avalanche. I deeply
enjoy every day to read these messages, but I'm feeling some
frustration because
1) when I actually have a good answer to a question asked on the list,
they are zillions of answers better than mine already posted. How do
you deal with that ? It would be a full-time job just to keep the
pace... If somebody has a good strategy, thank you to share it.
2) Even with the sophisticated semantic explanations of experts like
Richmond*, I miss half of the jokes (which are more than half of the
pleasure). Could some bilingual french-english guru (Eric ?) post a
short lexicon of expressions and abbreviations used ? (I got HTH by
myself, but it's a rare success amidst many failures...). Sorry, but
my education included German (totally lost), Latin and classical
Greek, and my English was just picked out empirically, without any
formal teaching...

Thanks in advance - and do not hesitate to send your answer(s) out of
the list if you feel it's [OT] - (is [OT] OK ?)

Jacques

* Richmond, I remember a statue of an old deaf guy in the street in
Plovdiv - I liked him - is he still there ? Reading some of the
messages on this list, I'm feeling like him...

Prof. Jacques Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biophore / Sorge
University of Lausanne