Looking for ugly code comparisons

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Dec 12 22:41:49 EST 2008

François,

> I think you missed the point. Kids are not in business or technology.
> They are in childhood.

I agree it would be nice if kids could learn to program computers in their
native tongue. I was curious about this so I poked around on Google a little
bit and found:

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Non:English:based:programming:languages.htm

An excerpt:
==========

Known non-English-based programming languages:

Brainfuck - Minimalist programming language, created for the purpose of
having a compiler fit in < 256 bytes (category 3)

FOCAL - Introduced in 1968 by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)'s Richard
Merrill (and derived from JOSS) ¹  (category 2)

HPL - Hebrew Programming Language (category 1)

hForth - A Forth system with an optional Korean keyword set

Lexico - A Spanish language based object-oriented, educational programming
language based on the. NET Framework.

PILOT - a Computer Aided Instruction language, somewhat similar to LOGO
(category 3)

Plankalkül - Developed by German computer pioneer Konrad Zuse, who claimed
to have developed it in the 1940s (category 1)

Var'aq - Based on the Klingon constructed language for television series
Star Trek  (category 4)

Now, which of these do you think is better than Revolution for teaching
programming to young children? The Klingon one?