Looking for ugly code comparisons WAS: Slashdotter looking for kids' programming language

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Dec 11 20:47:29 EST 2008

Hi Judy,

A few very simple examples. Revolution is clearly much more readable
and easier to work with for starting programmers than other languages.

# revolution
on foo
   repeat with x = 32 to 255
     put x & "         " & numToChar(x) & cr after msg
   end repeat
end foo

This one is hardly readable if you're not used to reading programing
code:

# php
<?php
for ($chrNr=32;$chrNr < 255;$chrNr++)
{
	echo $chrNr."        ".chr($chrNr)."\n";
}
?>

Just for fun, here's the AppleScript version. Quite similar to
Revolution, but much more picky.

-- applescript
on foo()
	set myList to ""
	repeat with x from 32 to 255
		set myList to myList & x & "      " & (ASCII character x) & return
	end repeat
	return myList
end foo

Btw, if you want ugly code, this one should not be omitted...

0 REM BASIC
10 LET x = 31
20 LET X = X + 1
30 PRINT x,"        ",CHR$(x)
40 IF x < 255 GOTO 20
50 END

I've tested all the examples above. They all work.

Of course, there is a large collection of programming languages
already and people can easily pick the one that looks easy at <http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-runtime-revolution-499.html

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz
Dutch forum: http://runrev.info/rrforum

We are always looking for new projects! Feel free to contact us to
discuss your custom software project!